Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ice, ice baby

I know, I know I've been majorly slacking in the blogging department!!! It's terrible but any free time is spent training for the tri in August or reading those darn Twilight books Kasey has me addicted to! Anyway, one of the blogs I read has a link to a neat website with lots of faith based activities and ideas for families and children. I'm not homeschooling the girls, but I do enjoy getting ideas for fun things to do with them. I found this "experiment" and we tried it out this morning. The night before I gathered some beads and buttons from around the house and froze them (in layers) in a tupperware container. Oh, and added food coloring. Then the girls were given warm water and salt and were told to use them to melt the ice and extract the beads and buttons. I gave them 10 minutes or so and whoever had the most when the time was up would be declared "the winner". I will say this is probably more of a project for school age children, but Mallory LOVED it! They were really suprised that salt melted the ice. Nothing extravgant, but the girls had fun.




This is how we spent the rest of the day...and Mallory is swimming completely on her own now!!!